University of Wisconsin System President Ray Cross today appointed a 27-member search and screen committee to help identify a successor to UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Michael R. Lovell, who announced on March 26 that he had been named the first lay president of Marquette University in Milwaukee.
Cross appointed 14 UW-Milwaukee faculty members, two academic staff members, two classified staff members and two students. They will be joined by two administrators and five community representatives. Dr. Mark Schwartz, a Distinguished Professor in UW-Milwaukee’s Geography department, will chair the committee.
Serving on the search and screen committee are:
- Mark Schwartz, Distinguished Professor, Geography (chair)
- Anne Basting, Professor, Theatre
- Naira Campbell-Kyureghyan, Associate Professor, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
- Simone Conceiçᾶo, Professor, Administrative Leadership
- Jennifer Doering, Associate Professor, Nursing
- Enrique Figueroa, Professor, Continuing Education
- Jenny Kehl, Associate Professor, School of Freshwater Science
- Jeri-Anne Lyons, Associate Professor, Biomedical Sciences
- Devendra Misra, Professor, Electrical Engineering
- James Peoples, Professor, Economics
- Anthony Ross, Professor, Lubar School of Business
- Daâd Saffarini, Professor, Biological Sciences
- Robert Smith, Associate Professor, History
- Michael Zimmer, Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
- Patricia Richards, Associate Scientist, Anthropology
- Warren Scherer, Director, UWM Inclusive Excellence Center
- David Keach, Payroll and Benefits Specialist Advanced, Human Resources
- Marc Sanders, Manager, Course Book Department, UWM Bookstore
- Ryan Sorenson, President, Student Association
- Justin Welch, triple-major (History, Religious Studies, and Jewish Studies)
- Patricia Borger, Vice Chancellor for Development and Alumni Relations
- Donald Mash, Executive Senior Special Assistant, UW System President’s Office
- Michele Bria, Chief Executive Officer, Journey House
- David Lubar, President and CEO, Lubar & Co.
- José Olivieri, Partner, Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Paula Penebaker, President & CEO, YWCA Southeast Wisconsin
- Edward Zore, Board of Trustees, Northwestern Mutual
Following a national search and an intensive screening process, the committee is expected to recommend no fewer than five candidates as finalists for consideration by the UW System president and a special Board of Regents committee, chaired by Regent President Michael Falbo of Hartland. Other members of the committee include Regent José Delgado (Brookfield), Regent Margaret Farrow (Pewaukee), Regent Eve Hall (Milwaukee), and Regent Charles Pruitt (Milwaukee).
After a series of public presentations and personal interviews, the UW System president and the Regent committee will recommend one individual to the full board, which must approve the appointment.
The campus search committee will convene for the first time at 9 a.m. Thursday, May 8, in Room 240, UWM Union, on the UW-Milwaukee campus. At that meeting, Cross will officially charge the committee with its mission, review procedures and begin the national search.
Lovell has served as the university’s top administrator since 2010.
As Wisconsin’s premier public urban institution, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee enjoys a growing national reputation for excellence in research, teaching and community engagement. On an operating budget of $705 million, it educates more than 27,000 students and is an engine of innovation for Southeastern Wisconsin. The 104-acre main campus and satellite sites are located in the economic and cultural heart of the state. The university’s recent expansion includes new academic and research facilities and the creation of the only School of Freshwater Sciences in the United States and the Joseph J. Zilber School of Public Health.